Let's talk Twins! If you love the game as a newbie, or a encyclopedic book of knowledge, please share your opinion or a story of interest. (Email me if you are shy!) I am writing to learn more about the game. Come learn with me, or feel free to share your knowledge.


Go Twins!!!



Friday, April 3, 2009

T minus 2 to 25 man

Another decision moving towards the starting day 25 man roster, Tolbert was optioned to Rochester. One less battle for positions.

Opening day line up is sure looking to be different than what I expected. In case you haven't been following Spring Training, it has been one plagued by minor injuries. Long list - ready? (I am doing this off the top of my head so I might miss a couple.)

Crede was hit in the hand but seems to be fine.
Morneau has a stiff back and has missed the last several games.
Mauer has an inflamed sacroiliac joint and will miss the first several games.
Baker was put on the DL after developing shoulder stiffness.
Bonser had shoulder surgery.
Cuddy and his finger from last year - I believe I read he was having more tests a week or so ago.
Young had a sore shoulder.
Punto apparently is injured but I didn't hear why.

Now - in case you haven't been following and are now in a panic, don't be. Sounds much worse than it is. Mauer and Baker will miss opening day, and Morneau is apparently questionable, but is expected to play. Injuries happen in baseball, but it is interesting how a rash of them changes the lineup considerably. So as of today we don't know what Monday's lineup will be. Can you imagine being Gardy right now??? (Or his wife?)

I am going to jump on my soapbox for a moment and say that I am tired of fans saying that the players are just being babies. Two thoughts come to my mind. One, they worked hard and long to get where they are and most do not want to miss games. If they were babies they would never have made it to the point they are at. Second, they have an investment if you will in their bodies. If something is off, they need to do the right thing to be sure it corrects itself properly. Mauer gets the most criticism. Which would you prefer given the choice of having him rush back without a proper recovery, play so-so at best for a few games until he injures it again, or inflames it to a point that he is out for a larger chunk of the season; or have him miss half a dozen games at the beginning of the season to come back ready to play at his full potential for the rest of the season? If there is a problem with your car's engine, you would certainly spend the time to get it properly diagnosed and repaired rather than risk further damage by driving it before it was ready. Let's give these guys a break, and stop second guessing their decisions. They have a team of people helping them make the correct one. (Get's off her soapbox quietly...)

No matter who plays, I am so excited for the season to get underway! I have been unable for the most part to hear the games at work (poor, spotty reception) so I am ready for some baseball!!! You know where I will be Monday! (Ok - actually I will be in a Board meeting during the game. Thank goodness for DVR!!!)

Go Twins!!!

No comments: